10 New Year’s Pursuits
Welcome to 2019! This time each year people make resolutions they’d like to work on over the following 365 days. Resolutions are great, but they can also cause a lot of pressure and sabotage our efforts if taken too seriously. Instead, here’s a list of “pursuits” you can aspire to in the coming months.
1. Be kinder. Not only to others but to yourself. You don’t always have to feel bad about something. It’s okay to be happy!
2. Be intentional. Stop living your life mindlessly, going through the motions, and checking the days off your calendar. Be thoughtful in your living and life will be so much more fulfilling.
3. Try something new. Put yourself out there and attempt to learn an instrument, take an art class, or go skydiving. Not only will you acquire a new skill, but you’ll make new friends to boot!
4. Be healthier. Self-care is the key to a long and happy life. Cut out, or at least cut down on, anything that makes you feel unwell, unhappy, or unfulfilled.
5. Treat yourself. On the flipside, don’t deprive yourself of what makes you smile. Have that occasional piece of chocolate or super long bubble bath even if you’re supposed to be doing something productive instead.
6. Give. If you can’t afford to donate money to charity, give your time instead. A few hours here and there to help those in need not only benefits them but benefits yourself as well.
7. Declutter. A cluttered house causes a cluttered mind. Go through one room a week and make a pile for trash, donate, or sell. You’ll thank yourself for pursuing a more spartan lifestyle.
8. Care less. Not in the way you think. Stop caring so much about what others think about you, what’s going on on social media, the glass you just broke, the stain on your carpet, etc. These little things can rob you of joy if you let them.
9. Travel. There’s so much more to the world than the ten-mile radius you currently live in. It doesn’t have to cost a lot to break out and see what’s out there. A simple car ride in a new town can often be enough to refresh your spirit and tickle your curiosity.
10. Give out one compliment a day. To loved ones, friends, or strangers. You never know how touched someone can be because of a little praise.
There you have it. Some goals to pursue. No need to resolve to do anything in the new year and then feel defeated when you can’t follow through. The key word here is “TRY”! Good luck and happy new year!